Monday, May 24, 2010

Eulogia

I walked down the hall for the 432nd time today and a long, gangly boy ran up to me.  He's someone I've seen in the halls, but I don't know his name.  Always smiling, always says hello.  A most pleasant young man.

"Mrs. Thurman, I'm so glad I have you first semester next year."  Enthusiasm seeped from his Clearasil.  I replied that I knew it would be a great semester, blah blah blah.  Typical flotsam thrown out to a student you don't know but who seems eager to learn.

He said, "After Beta Club induction I went home and told my mother that I had just met my favorite teacher.  I love history and you are funny."

Great relationships have been built on less.  And if I tell you that it made my day, you'll understand why.

I love teaching.  And I love these goofy, bright, energetic, maddening, contradictory, beautiful, awful, kind, feral, righteous, demonic, adult-children I have the honor of spending my days with.

It's just the shit that goes along with it I hate. 

3 comments:

  1. If he was thin and blonde with a very slightly slurred 'r' in his speech, you just met Alex. You will love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, brown hair, no slurred speech. Thin and tall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably Timothy then...HUGE Bama fan.

    ReplyDelete