Sunday, May 9, 2010

Unknown Growth Patterns of the Human and Vegetable Kind

The irony of planting unidentifiable seeds that a friend gave me today - Mother's Day - is not lost on me. I soaked them as required, put them in the ground, and have no idea what to expect. Are they sun or shade lovers? Did I plant them deep enough? Do they like fertilizer or will I overdo it? Will they have blooms or strictly foliage?

I won't know for sure, even, that they will be okay when I see the first green. Someone/something could squash them with a misplaced foot or weedeater. Blackberry winter could come with force and freeze what's growing in the blink of an eye. Squirrels might have them for lunch. I might forget to water enough and they could shrivel. Gardening can be treacherous.

One thing's for sure, I will be surprised. And I like surprises of the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment