Sunday, May 23, 2010

Memories

Last night I attended a party to welcome home a Favorite Daughter.  Her family and friends (and even one lucky teacher) all gathered around to hug and kiss her and tell her how much we've missed her.  She was gracious and allowed us to baby her and listened to our stories about what all has happened since we saw her at Christmas, and then headed to get a beer.  She's 21, after all, and can only stand so many niceties.

As I enjoyed the wonderful meal her family had prepared - her Dad fried fish outside and her Mom made amazing homemade wonderfulnesses - and then went to their backyard to watch a bonfire and roast marshmallows and catch up with many good friends I remembered why I've been so willing to drive fifty miles every day to teach.

These people.  These solid, true Christians who would do anything in the world they could if you asked.  These fabulous creatures of clay and dreams who grew up with one and had an abundance of the other.   These mothers and fathers who had it better than their own parents and were determined that their children would surpass them.

They worked and went to church and made sure their bills got paid and made lives to be envied.  These are the people who've sent their children to us to teach what they need to know to take them away from the life their parents have led.  They sent them knowing this, and wanting nothing more. 

She will take the MCAT this summer and is hoping to enter medical school after graduation.  It's gonna be tough for her.  Small college degree, so much competition for slots in med schools.  I pray she scores high enough to realize her goals;  it's all she's ever wanted to do.  She's smart - she has a back-up plan in case she doesn't get in.

And that's what I'll miss when I no longer traverse the Highway of Broken Dreams - the bright kids and great parents who have made it a joy, at times, to be a part of a small community of good people. I spoke with many former students who were there to welcome home a bright star in the terra firma that is the Grove.  Every one of them college educated and employed, and all part of my life. 

It was a fitting benediction.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, friend. I often get muddled down with the bad outweighing the good, but the good ones shine brighter than all of it. The luster they exude surpasses all of the muck and grime around them. It smothers the smell of failure...for me and the poor souls who are simply to ignorant to see through the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The end of the year mulligrubs always make me focus on the shits and forget that we do have good kids. Not many in the class of '10, but plenty in the senior class next year. I'm already rethinking my decision.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps it will never come to fruition...think about the disgusting speck who defecated on that vehicle...which, of course, nothing happened to.

    Then, there's our SGA President-Elect...I never taught him in class, but I LOVE him! Times might be a-changin'...one never knows. At least I will be on the right end of the hall...finally.

    ReplyDelete